Re: Is updating contrib/gcc desirable?

From: Yuri <yuri_at_rawbw.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:36:54 -0800
On 12/31/2015 04:15, David Chisnall wrote:
> The newer versions of GCC are GPLv3 and so are unacceptable for the FreeBSD base system.  Most of libgcc in base now comes from compiler-rt.  The correct solution would be to identify the missing functionality in compiler-rt so that it can be fixed (with patches ideally, but even a list of the missing functions and what they do would be helpful).  Things like libquadmath, which are only needed for the port, belong in ports.

When I look which symbols clang++-compiled executables require from
libgcc_s.so, list only has these symbols (mostly the first one):
_Unwind_Resume
_Unwind_DeleteException
_Unwind_GetCFA
_Unwind_RaiseException
_Unwind_SetGR
_Unwind_SetIP

I couldn't find any of them defined in compiler-rt. But it looks like
libunwind project implements them: http://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/.
There is also the port devel/libunwind. I am not sure if this means that
libunwind should be imported into the base.

If only general C++ programs could be untangled from libgcc, this
fortran problem will be solved.

Yuri