Re: vt(4) sysctl inconsistency question

From: Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:23:12 +0200
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 22:56:57 +0100
Michal Varga <michal.varga_at_stonehenge.sk> wrote:

> I have a quick question regarding the vt driver which hopefully someone
> involved in its design could answer for me.
>
> Roughly 4 months ago, vt gained the ability to listen to a set of
> keyboard combinations controlling power/debug situations and the ability
> to control (or more precisely, turn off) their behavior via sysctls:
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/vt/vt_core.c?r1=271380&r2=271381&
>
> Interestingly, two cases in particular (excluding SPSC which isn't
> implemented yet) were left out of this configuration, namely the standby
> and suspend modes (STBY, SUSP), making use of those keys completely
> non-optional.
>
> If anyone could tell me, what was the reason for not including sysctls
> for those two modes?
>
> m.
>

> --
> Michal Varga,
> Stonehenge

Hi Michal!

When I was work on vt(4) due to lack of knowledge about kbd(4)
internals I decide to not touch it a lot, so I mostly just copy sc(4)
things :)

IIRC support of such keys/combinations will require some updates to
kbd(4).

Think, if somebody will prepare patch for such things, guys and maybe
me, will be happy to review and possibly commit it.

Thanks!

WBW
--
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_freebsd.org>