Re: Some unresolved but important X.org problems

From: Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd_at_ijs.si>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:33:05 +0100
2015-02-11 Beeblebrox wrote:
> I have been having problems described below since March of 2014, but
> did not have much of an option other than to wait for gradual
> improvements. Considering that 11 is nearing official RELEASE, I would
> think these problems would be worth consideration. I'm posting in
> current rather than xorg, because if there were many others with these
> problems, it would have been brought up a long time ago.
>
> PROBLEMS:
> 1. PDF viewers fail to display pdf/ps files correctly. Many files get
> displayed as blank pages, and I can only get the pdf to display after
> closing/re-opening the file several times, or by repeatedly scrolling
> up/down past the seemingly blank page. Pages with an image have more
> problems than pages with text-only.
>
> 2. With the exception of Opera (which is out-dated), all remaining
> Browsers fail to display most web pages in a sane manner (Firefox,
> Seamonkey, Epiphany, Midori). Chrome is the worst because even with
> just a blank page it flickers, goes completely white, comes back as a
> partial image and sometimes locks X for 1/2 second or so.
> Problems with the other browsers usually have something to do with
> sites using php (rather than static content) and I have many problems
> with images being correctly displayed. Among the symptoms:
> * Page phases out. Mouse-over or scroll up/down resets the display
[...]

Some of the symptoms that you describe sound familiar.
I was using FreeBSD 10-STABLE with GeForce 7600 GS and the 'nv' driver.
After upgrading x11/xorg in December 2014:

   /usr/ports/UPDATING:
   20141219:
     AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg and all xorg ports
     AUTHOR: dumbbell_at_FreeBSD.org
     The X.Org server (x11-servers/xorg-server) is updated to 1.14.

the effect was that while editing a text with emacs, large parts
of the editing window would disappear / fail to refresh (like after
scrolling) and would remain of the background color. Stepping with
a cursor through 'hidden' lines would get them redrawn one after
another. I guess this matches your statement "Page phases out.
Mouse-over or scroll up/down resets the display". And yes, Opera
kept working fine. Don't remember how other browsers and okular
behaved - if necessary, I can try switching back to 'nv' for a test.

I 'solved' my problem by switching from 'nv' to nvidia-304 driver,
which works fine with GeForce 7600 GS (but not with GeForce 7300 GT).

   Mark