Re: unbound crashes on bootup

From: Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:48:10 -0500
On 02/11/2015 13:06, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 06.02.2015 14:06, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> I just updated my -current to r278283, and unbound (still) croaks
>> during bootup:
>
> Hi!
>
> I have a similar problem. Also, unbound crashes each time I start/stop
> OpenVPN. I suppose the problem is the same in both cases.
>
> The crash happens in the config_lookup_uid() in
> contrib/unbound/util/config_file.c. Here's the code:
>
>     struct passwd *pwd;
>     if((pwd = getpwnam(cfg->username)) == NULL)
>         log_err("user '%s' does not exist.", cfg->username);
>     cfg->uid = pwd->pw_uid;

getpwnam() is not thread-safe.  I'm surprised unbound would use it.
Calling it from multiple threads can cause trouble, although I don't
know off-hand if it could cause this problem.  As an experiment, you
might change it to getpwnam_r() and see it the problem persists.

Otherwise, adding errno to the log message might help.  Be sure to zero
errno before calling getpwnam().