Re: HEADS-UP: Enabling WITH_DEBUG_FILES by default

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 04:28:57 +0000
On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:23:01PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 04:11 +0000, Glen Barber wrote:

> > > Seriously?  2GB is bigger than the entire filesystem on many ARM boards
> > > that do useful work.  Not to mention how long it will take to write all
> > > that to an sdcard (it already takes a long time to installworld/kernel
> > > to an sdcard and it's only 400MB).
> > >
> > > Just what are these files, and what use will the average user make of
> > > them?
> > >
> > > What use will I make of them, that is going to justify that every one of
> > > my couple-dozen build sandboxes will now be 4gb larger (a copy in obj
> > > and a copy in the nfs root that things install to)?
> > >
> > > How much time will this add to a build?
> > >
> > > Yeah yeah, I can update a couple dozen src.conf files to eliminate them,
> > > and that's not the biggest hassle in the world (but it's also not
> > > nothing).  It seems like this is a heavy enough load that it needs to
> > > justify its existance.
> > >

> > The major benefit is that all debugging data that we need to properly
> > debug application crashes in the base system will be available
> > out-of-box.
> >
> > There is a trade-off here, in both directions.  For arm, for example,
> > the trade-off is that the default installed userland would grow, however
> > when there is a PR regarding an application crash, the tools to diagnose
> > the issue are there by default (we do not need to ask that the utility
> > is rebuilt with debugging options enabled, and then recreate the crash).
> >
> > I considered making this an opt-in thing for arm, but given the above
> > rationale, thought it would be more beneficial for the opposite route.
> > If you feel necessary, however, we can turn this off by default for now
> > for arm.
> >
> > Glen
> >

> I can't imagine that anybody is going to be happy with an installed
> system size increase from 520 to 2520 MB no matter how much it helps
> debugging, especially considering the the typical installation media is
> in the 2-8 GB range (with lots of 2 and 4 GB cards out there because
> that's what vendors bundle with the boards).

Absolutely understood.  As mentioned in a recent reply (before seeing
this email), I'll provide a closer estimate of what to expect soon.
Again, if you want this turned off for arm, that's fine.  I would,
however, like to see it enabled by default across the board eventually
(even for -RELEASE builds).

Glen