Re: HEADS-UP: Enabling WITH_DEBUG_FILES by default

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:15:24 -0500
On 12 February 2015 at 08:21, Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:12:19AM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>>
>> IMO having debugging information for all binaries is just an overkill.
>> Nobody debugs ls on regular basis, while debug information for C runtime
>> is needed often.
>>

> I thought there was one for libraries and rtld only, but do not see any
> trace of it now.

No, there was never a separate knob.  I first added standalone debug
support to bsd.lib.mk, so there was a time that WITH_DEBUG_FILES=yes
provided .debug files for libraries but not binaries.  Note that rtld
uses bsd.prog.mk and so it initially did not have debug data.  We
could introduce knobs like WITH_LIBRARY_DEBUG_FILES and
WITH_BINARY_DEBUG_FILES for bsd.lib.mk / bsd.prog.mk,  but we'd need
an additional special case to build rtld debug to make a "runtime"
debug package.

The primary goal of this work is building debug data for releases.
The debug files will not be included on the install media, but will be
available for installation afterwards in order to debug a crash.  For
that packaging we want a 1:1 relationship between base system packages
and -dbg packages.  We can work backwards from there to help decide
what the knobs should be.