sa(4) driver changes available for test

From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:32:32 -0700
I have a fairly large set of changes to the sa(4) driver and mt(1) driver
that I'm planning to commit in the near future.

A description of the changes is here and below in this message.

If you have tape hardware and the inclination, I'd appreciate testing and
feedback.

============
Rough draft commit message:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/sa_changes_commitmsg.20150213.3.txt

The patches against FreeBSD/head as of SVN revision 278706:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/sa_changes.20150213.3.txt

And (untested) patches against FreeBSD stable/10 as of SVN revision 278721.

http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/sa_changes.stable_10.20150213.3.txt
============

The intent is to get the tape infrastructure more up to date, so we can
support LTFS and more modern tape drives:

http://www.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ltfs/

I have ported IBM's LTFS Single Drive Edition to FreeBSD.  The port depends
on the patches linked above.  It isn't fully cleaned up and ready for
redistribution.  If you're interested, though, let me know and I'll tell
you when it is ready to go out.  You need an IBM LTO-5, LTO-6, TS1140 or
TS1150 tape drive.  HP drives aren't supported by IBM's LTFS, and older
drives don't have the necessary features to support LTFS.

The commit message below outlines most of the changes.

A few comments:

1. I'm planning to commit the XPT_DEV_ADVINFO changes separately.

2. The XML output is similar to what GEOM and CTL do.  It would be nice to
   figure out how to put a standard schema on it so that standard tools
   could read it.  I don't know how feasible that is, since I haven't
   time to dig into it.  If anyone has suggestions on whether that is
   feasible or advisable, I'd appreciate feedback.

3. I have tested with a reasonable amount of tape hardware (see below for a
   list), but more testing and feedback would be good.

4. Standard 'mt status' output looks like this:

# mt -f /dev/nsa3 status  -v
Drive: sa3: <IBM ULTRIUM-HH6 E4J1> Serial Number: 101500520A
---------------------------------
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x5a:LTO-6           variable       384607   enabled (0xff)
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 0
Residual:    0  Reported File Number:   0 Reported Record Number: 0
Flags: BOP

5. 'mt status -v' looks like this:

# mt -f /dev/nsa3 status  -v
Drive: sa3: <IBM ULTRIUM-HH6 E4J1> Serial Number: 101500520A
---------------------------------
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x5a:LTO-6           variable       384607   enabled (0xff)
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 0
Residual:    0  Reported File Number:   0 Reported Record Number: 0
Flags: BOP
---------------------------------
Tape I/O parameters:
  Maximum I/O size allowed by driver and controller (maxio): 1081344 bytes
  Maximum I/O size reported by controller (cpi_maxio): 5197824 bytes
  Maximum block size supported by tape drive and media (max_blk): 8388608 bytes
  Minimum block size supported by tape drive and media (min_blk): 1 bytes
  Block granularity supported by tape drive and media (blk_gran): 0 bytes
  Maximum possible I/O size (max_effective_iosize): 1081344 bytes

6. Existing applications should work without changes.  If not, please let
   me know.  Hopefully they will move over time to the new interfaces.

7. There are lots of additional features that could be added later.
   Append-only support, encryption, more log pages, etc.

8. I have SCSI READ ATTRIBUTE changes for camcontrol(8) that will go in
   separately.  These changes allow displaying the contents of the MAM
   (Medium Auxiliary Memory) chips on LTO, TS and other modern tape drives.
   These are good, and a future possible direction is adding attributes
   to the status XML from the sa(4) driver.

============
Significant upgrades to sa(4) and mt(1).

The primary focus of these changes is to modernize FreeBSD's
tape infrastructure so that we can take advantage of some of the
features of modern tape drives and allow support for LTFS.

Significant changes and new features include:

 o sa(4) driver status and parameter information is now exported via an
   XML structure.  This will allow for changes and improvements later
   on that will not break userland applications.  The old MTIOCGET
   status ioctl remains, so applications using the existing interface
   will not break.

 o 'mt status' now reports drive-reported tape position information
   as well as the previously available calculated tape position
   information.  These numbers will be different at times, because
   the drive-reported block numbers are relative to BOP (Beginning
   of Partition), but the block numbers calculated previously via
   sa(4) (and still provided) are relative to the last filemark.
   Both numbers are now provided.  'mt status' now also shows the
   drive INQUIRY information, serial number and any position flags
   (BOP, EOT, etc.) provided with the tape position information.
   'mt status -v' adds information on the maximum possible I/O size,
   and the underlying values used to calculate it.

 o The extra sa(4) /dev entries (/dev/saN.[0-3]) have been removed.

   The extra devices were originally added as place holders for
   density-specific device nodes.  Some OSes (NetBSD, NetApp's OnTap
   and Solaris) have had device nodes that, when you write to them,
   will automatically select a given density for particular tape drives.

   This is a convenient way of switching densities, but it was never
   implemented in FreeBSD.  Only the device nodes were there, and that
   sometimes confused users.

   For modern tape devices, the density is generally not selectable
   (e.g. with LTO) or defaults to the highest availble density when
   the tape is rewritten from BOT (e.g. TS11X0).  So, for most users,
   density selection won't be necessary.  If they do need to select
   the density, it is easy enough to use 'mt density' to change it.

 o Protection information is now supported.  This is either a
   Reed-Solomon CRC or CRC32 that is included at the end of each block
   read and written.  On write, the tape drive verifies the CRC, and
   on read, the tape drive provides a CRC for the userland application
   to verify.

 o New, extensible tape driver parameter get/set interface.

 o Density reporting information.  For drives that support it,
   'mt getdensity' will show detailed information on what formats the
   tape drive supports, and what formats the tape drive supports.

 o Some mt(1) functionality moved into a new mt(3) library so that
   external applications can reuse the code.

 o The new mt(3) library includes helper routines to aid in parsing
   the XML output of the sa(4) driver, and build a tree of driver
   metadata.

 o Support for the MTLOAD (load a tape in the drive) and MTWEOFI
   (write filemark immediate) ioctls needed by IBM's LTFS
   implementation.

 o Improve device departure behavior for the sa(4) driver.  The previous
   implementation led to hangs when the device was open.

 o This has been tested on the following types of drives:
	IBM TS1150
	IBM TS1140
	IBM LTO-6
	IBM LTO-5
	HP LTO-2
	Seagate DDS-4
	Quantum DLT-4000
	Exabyte 8505
	Sony DDS-2

contrib/groff/tmac/doc-syms,
share/mk/bsd.libnames.mk,
lib/Makefile,
	Add libmt.

lib/libmt/Makefile,
lib/libmt/mt.3,
lib/libmt/mtlib.c,
lib/libmt/mtlib.h,
	New mt(3) library that contains functions moved from mt(1) and
	new functions needed to interact with the updated sa(4) driver.

	This includes XML parser helper functions that application writers
	can use when writing code to query tape parameters.

rescue/rescue/Makefile:
	Add -lmt to CRUNCH_LIBS.

sys/cam/cam_ccb.h
	Add a new flag value for the XPT_DEV_ADVINFO CCB, CDAI_FLAG_NONE.

sbin/camcontrol/camcontrol.c,
sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c,
sys/cam/scsi/scsi_enc_ses.c,
sys/dev/mps/mps_sas.c:
	Make sure the flags for the XPT_DEV_ADVINFO CCB are set correctly.
	This prevents unintended attempts to set advanced information
	values when XPT_DEV_ADVINFO CCBs are not pre-zeroed.

src/share/man/man4/mtio.4
	Clarify this man page a bit, and since it contains what is
	essentially the mtio.h header file, add new ioctls and structure
	definitions from mtio.h.

src/share/man/man4/sa.4
	Update BUGS and maintainer section.

sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.c,
sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.h:
	Add SCSI SECURITY PROTOCOL IN/OUT CDB definitions and CDB building
	functions.

sys/cam/scsi/scsi_sa.c
sys/cam/scsi/scsi_sa.h
	Many tape driver changes, largely outlined above.

	Increase the sa(4) driver read/write timeout from 4 to 32
	minutes.  This is based on the recommended values for IBM LTO
	5/6 drives.  This may also avoid timeouts for other tape
	hardware that can take a long time to do retries and error
	recovery.  Longer term, a better way to handle this is to ask
	the drive for recommended timeout values using the REPORT
	SUPPORTED OPCODES command.  Modern IBM and Oracle tape drives
	at least support that command, and it would allow for more
	accurate timeout values.

	Add XML status generation.  This is done with a series of
	macros to eliminate as much duplicate code as possible.  The
	new XML-based status values are reported through the new
	MTIOCEXTGET ioctl.

	Add XML driver parameter reporting, using the new MTIOCPARAMGET
	ioctl.

	Add a new driver parameter setting interface, using the new
	MTIOCPARAMSET and MTIOCSETLIST ioctls.

	Add a new MTIOCRBLIM ioctl to get block limits information.

	and scsi_read_position_10().

	scsi_locate_10 implements the LOCATE command, as does the
	existing scsi_set_position() command.  It just supports
	additional arguments and features.  If/when we figure out a
	good way to provide backward compatibility for older
	applications using the old function API, we can just revamp
	scsi_set_position().  The same goes for
	scsi_read_position_10() and the existing scsi_read_position()
	function.

	Revamp sasetpos() to take the new mtlocate structure as an
	argument.  It now will use either scsi_locate_10() or
	scsi_locate_16(), depending upon the arguments the user
	supplies.  As before, once we change position we don't have a
	clear idea of what the current logical position of the tape
	drive is.

	For tape drives that support long form position data, we
	read the current position and store that for later reporting
	after changing the position.  This should help applications
	like Bacula speed tape access under FreeBSD once they are
	modified to support the new ioctls.

	Add a new quirk, SA_QUIRK_NO_LONG_POS, that is set for all
	drives that report SCSI-2 or older, as well as drives that
	report an Illegal Request type error for READ POSITION with
	the long format.  So we should automatically detect drives
	that don't support the long form and stop asking for it after
	an initial try.

	Add a partition number to the sa(4) softc.

	Improve device departure handling. The previous implementation
	led to hangs when the device was open.

	If an application had the sa(4) driver open, and attempted to
	close it after it went away, the cam_periph_release() call in
	saclose() would cause the periph to get destroyed because that
	was the last reference to it.  Because destroy_dev() was
	called from the sa(4) driver's cleanup routine (sacleanup()),
	and would block waiting for the close to happen, a deadlock
	would result.

	So instead of calling destroy_dev() from the cleanup routine,
	call destroy_dev_sched_cb() from saoninvalidate() and wait for
	the callback.

	Acquire a reference for devfs in saregister(), and release it
	in the new sadevgonecb() routine when all devfs devices for
	the particular sa(4) driver instance are gone.

	Add a new function, sasetupdev(), to centralize setting
	per-instance devfs device parameters instead of repeating the
	code in saregister().

	Add an open count to the softc, so we know how many
	peripheral driver references are a result of open
       	sessions.

	Add the D_TRACKCLOSE flag to the cdevsw flags so
	that we get a 1:1 mapping of open to close calls
	instead of a N:1 mapping.

	This should be a no-op for everything except the
	control device, since we don't allow more than one
	open on non-control devices.

	However, since we do allow multiple opens on the
	control device, the combination of the open count
	and the D_TRACKCLOSE flag should result in an
	accurate peripheral driver reference count, and an
	accurate open count.

	The accurate open count allows us to release all
	peripheral driver references that are the result
	of open contexts once we get the callback from devfs.

sys/sys/mtio.h:
	Add a number of new mt(4) ioctls and the requisite data
	structures.  None of the existing interfaces been removed
	or changed.

	This includes definitions for the following new ioctls:

	MTIOCRBLIM      /* get block limits */
	MTIOCEXTLOCATE	/* seek to position */
	MTIOCEXTGET     /* get tape status */
	MTIOCPARAMGET	/* get tape params */
	MTIOCPARAMSET	/* set tape params */
	MTIOCSETLIST	/* set N params */

usr.bin/mt/Makefile:
	mt(1) now depends on libmt, libsbuf and libbsdxml.

usr.bin/mt/mt.1:
	Document new mt(1) features and subcommands.

usr.bin/mt/mt.c:
	Implement support for mt(1) subcommands that need to
	use getopt(3) for their arguments.

	Implement a new 'mt status' command to replace the old
	'mt status' command.  The old status command has been
	renamed 'ostatus'.

	The new status function uses the MTIOCEXTGET ioctl, and
	therefore parses the XML data to determine drive status.
	The -x argument to 'mt status' allows the user to dump out
	the raw XML reported by the kernel.

	The new status display is mostly the same as the old status
	display, except that it doesn't print the redundant density
	mode information, and it does print the current partition
	number and position flags.

	Add a new command, 'mt locate', that will supersede the
	old 'mt setspos' and 'mt sethpos' commands.  'mt locate'
	implements all of the functionality of the MTIOCEXTLOCATE
	ioctl, and allows the user to change the logical position
	of the tape drive in a number of ways.  (Partition,
	block number, file number, set mark number, end of data.)
	The immediate bit and the explicit address bits are
	implemented, but not documented in the man page.

	Add a new 'mt weofi' command to use the new MTWEOFI ioctl.
	This allows the user to ask the drive to write a filemark
	without waiting around for the operation to complete.

	Add a new 'mt getdensity' command that gets the XML-based
	tape drive density report from the sa(4) driver and displays
	it.  This uses the SCSI REPORT DENSITY SUPPORT command
	to get comprehensive information from the tape drive about
	what formats it is able to read and write.

	Add a new 'mt protect' command that allows getting and setting
	tape drive protection information.  The protection information
	is a CRC tacked on to the end of every read/write from and to
	the tape drive.

Sponsored by:	Spectra Logic
MFC after:	1 month

Thanks,