Re: default pager (csh)

From: Shane Ambler <FreeBSD_at_ShaneWare.Biz>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:18:24 +1030
On 20/02/2015 01:22, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:16:59 -0600
> Mike Karels wrote:
>

>> Trivia: the version of more on BSD systems actually is derived from
>> less, not the original version of more.
>
> Actually, more is less
>
> $ md5 -r  `which less ` `which more `
> 50404f1beaa4e1261407190a88494b59 /usr/bin/less
> 50404f1beaa4e1261407190a88494b59 /usr/bin/more

Yes more has been less for some time, trouble is it is programmed to
behave differently based on the name used to call it so they aren't the
same.

Try this -

echo "test data" > testfile
more testfile
less testfile

So the debate over which is better continues....

Like everything, if you don't like the way it works you find a setting
to make it work the way you want. Whether you ask on a mailing list or
google it you will find a way to configure it your way.

As long as it works, the default is of little concern to most.

I don't even remember what year I set my pager to more, till I just
looked I would have guessed I was using the default.

Whatever intro I got started with used more as a pager and I have just
used it since. I just think '| more' not '| less'

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler