Re: Pluggable frame buffer devices

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:29:20 +0100
On 02/20/15 02:15, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 07:04:50 PM Shawn Webb wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:14:47 PM Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've added support for USB display link adapters to FreeBSD-11-current,
>>> but the kernel panics once "vt_fb_attach(info)" is called from
>>> "fbd_register(struct fb_info* info)" when the USB device is plugged or
>>> udl.ko is loaded. Is this a known issue?
>>>
>>> REF: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/usb/video/udl.c
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>
>> I just bought a DisplayLink adapter that's compatible. Compiling a new
>> kernel with device udl brings this error:

Hi,

You need to also build the "sys/modules/videomode" and install and kldload.

Does your device need a power supply?

Can you plug the device through an external USB HUB after boot?

Also you need some VT patches, before it will attach to VT which I can
send you. See attachment.

Beware the unplugging the device is not supported. It will crash / panic
which needs to be resolved.

--HPS