Re: bombarded with LOR's with recent install

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:39:39 -0800
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:09:50 -0500 John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ufs-devfs-quot-lock-order-reversal-qu
> > > ot- on-poweroff-td5989901.html
> > >
> > > But there was no reported resolution.
> >
> > and again in January, as well.
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org/msg158784.html
> >
> > Is there any way to switch off WITNESS, INVARIANTS && SKIPSPIN
> > in the GENERIC that is installed, outside of building a new
> > kernel?
>
> The VFS ones are more complicated.  You can add options 'WITNESS_NO_VNODE' to
> your kernel config to limit the noise.  (Someone should turn that into a
> sysctl/tunable so it can be enabled in a stock kernel.)
Aside from my own concerns, I thought it might be useful
for others to know, as the LOR's were produced by the kernel
installed from the distribution media (disk 1). Also, in the
event I'm not the *only* one experiencing these LOR's. It might
be nice replace the kernel that's currently on the media, with
one that won't do this. As I imagine many who install FreeBSD
from the media, might never build their own.
The sysctl/tunable sounds like a real winner. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond, John.

--Chris