makefs && gpart (...)

From: Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 12:48:30 +0100
Hello,

I have a small question and a small request re/ makefs && gpart:

There is a script src/release/i386/make-memstick.sh to create an image
from a full directory tree; the tree is result of

make installworld DESTDIR=/tree
make installkernel DESTDIR=/tree

the script mainly does:

makefs -B little -o label=FreeBSD_Install ${2} ${1}
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "makefs failed"
	exit 1
fi
rm ${1}/etc/fstab

unit=$(mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${2})
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "mdconfig failed"
	exit 1
fi
gpart create -s BSD ${unit}
gpart bootcode -b ${1}/boot/boot ${unit}
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs ${unit}
mdconfig -d -u ${unit}

As you can see, it does makefs first, and after this it creates the
gpart structure in the image (i.e. in its memory file system).

Why is this in this order and where exactly starts the file system
created by makefs?

The request is: it would also be nice if 'make-memstick.sh' would allow
to pass from the command line some values for the size of the file
system to be created in the image; I modified it to fit my needs as:

   size=15482880b
   makefs -B little -M ${size} -m ${size} -f 400000 ....

Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru_at_unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
1989-2014: The Wall was torn down so that we go to war together again.