Re: old bug: mount_nfs path/name is limited to 88 chars

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:45:32 +0100

On 2015-01-20 1:23, Allan Jude wrote:> On 2015-01-19 16:20, Garrett >
 > Especially with ZFS, I find I have a lot more mounts now, under longer
 > and longer path names, and then I have
 > .zfs/snapshots/snapshotnamehere/path/to/file
 >
 > etc.
 >
 > Definitely a +1 for "this is something we need for 11"

+1

Well to be honest: Things are already broken for me ATM.
I do have paths that are too long, and tools trip over it.

Things like building the locate database just don't have everything.
Which is a pain, especially for finding things fast in backups of ZFS,
where the path is even more convoluted that what Allan suggests

So whether being bitten by the cat of the dog: it still hurts.

Perhaps it is an intermediate solution to add new settings which are
going to be used for userspace programs, like USER_MNAMELEN and
USER_PATH_MAX. It will certainly give ENAMETOOLONG back when it involves
systemcalls. But then a lot of the other tool stuff would just function.

--WjW