Re: [RFC] kern/kern_timeout.c rewrite in progress

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:41:41 -0600
On 1/22/2015 4:27 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:16:41AM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> I have on 10.1 (with applied r261906).
>>
>> FYI:
>>
>> r277213 is going to be pulled out from -current in at maximum a few
>> hours from now, because developers need more time to review patches in
>> surrounding areas like the TCP stack area to restore distribution of
>> callouts on multiple CPUs when using MPSAFE callouts to avoid congestion
>> in the TCP stack.
>
> No, r277213 was requested to be reverted not due to TCP issues.
>
> The main complain is that you left indefinite amount of cases degraded,
> and there is no analysis of each such case, nor even a list of the cases
> that need to be fixed (or argumentation why consumer of the callout KPI
> could be left as is).
>
> Just providing fix for one place is not enough.

I have a similar concern about out-of-tree work. It would be surprising
for a vendor or module developer to find their performance degrade if
they missed accounting for this change. At a minimum, an UPDATING entry
should be added explaining the change and what must be done for consumers.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery