Re: System-On-Module

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:27:31 -0700
On Wed, 2015-01-28 at 19:32 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 06:52:52PM +0900, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Of all the low power, high-spec system/computer-on-modules out there which
> > have best support for FreeBSD?
> >
> > MEN
> > Variscite
> > Technologic system
> > Adlink
> > etc.
> >
> > What I am looking for is a system with roughly this specs
> > ARM or x86, 64bit if possible.
> > 2-4 cores
> > 1.5-2.0 GHz
> > 2 GB RAM
> > ~16 GB Storage
> > USB 3.0
> > PCB size about one to two credit cards.
>
> In that range I would go for a Wandboard.
> They are 1, 2 or 4 core iMX6 32bit with 512M, 1G or 2G RAM.
> The 4 core has SATA, which to my knowledge we don't support yet.
> They come with 2 useable SD-card slots - one on the module and one
> on a carrier board.
> Clock rate is 1GHz only IIRC and they only have high speed USB, although
> the newest carrier boards have some super speed wiring for future modules.
>
> TechNexion, the originator of that module system also has some
> x86 boards - some may fit your requirements, but those are at
> a higher price and bigger form factor.
> Tech Nexion also has iMX6 boards similar to the wandboard with
> different featuresets, but also at a higher price.

You do get more for that higher price with the Technexion EDM modules,
namely 1.2ghz chips instead of 1.0, and parts that are industrial and/or
automotive temperature-rated rather than consumer grade.  On the other
hand, you generally can't buy Technexion modules one at a time.  Last
time I checked they were minimum order 10 pieces even from resellers
like Mouser and Digikey.

Another small-board imx6 possibility is the Hummingboard from SolidRun.
I now have freebsd running on a SolidRun Cubox-i4, so I expect no large
drama in getting it working on other SolidRun imx6 products.  Gonzo
ordered a Hummingboard recently, so we should know for sure some time
soon.

-- Ian