Re: Questions on adding backlight support for the i915 driver

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:16:31 -0800
Hi,

Which chipset is it?

(as IIRC at that point acpi_video also states that it wishes to take
control of video setting, not just leave it all up to ACPI to drive
itself.)

There's a bunch of discussion / code churn in the linux dri2/i915 code
(/past/ the point in 2012 that our code is currently synced to) about
how to manage backlights. A lot of it seems due to ridiculously large
variations in how backlights are actually managed.

So, if we're going to do this, I think we should actually have a
generic backlight thing that figures out if the right thing to do is
talk to the underlying device/panel, rather than hang backlight
controls off of each driver. It may not always be off of drm. :(
There's also stuff surrounding locking and state changes, as well as
restoring backlight values after a suspend/resume cycle. That kind of
weird crap.

But I'd start with which chipset it is, which version of FreeBSD it
is, and whether the ACPI stuff would work for you with a code update.
But for a more general future thing, I'd rather we had a sysctl tree
of actual display devices, each one mapping to the underlying "thing"
it's controlling, so it's a generic API for both getting and setting
values for the various displays that are hooked into things.

-adrian