Re: Lenovo BIOS boot fix

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:35:14 -0400
On 2015-07-13 13:19, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I'm really confused. Why is the active flag not set again?
>
> I thought that was the whole point of the active flag in the partition table.
>

> -a

Not that it counts much, but windows does not set the active flag in its
pMBR.

I was under the impression the standard says that it should not be set,
as anything actually examining the pMBR as if it were an MBR, obviously
doesn't support GPT.

I've heard reports that GPT partitions with the active flag set, will
not boot properly under UEFI.

At this point, I am not sure whether it should be set or not.

This fix is for the Lenovo's with the broken BIOS. It moves the 0xee
partition in the pMBR to the 2nd slot instead of the first. This does
not seem to break any previously working hardware, and it makes the
Lenovo's work.

I have a patch: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3065
that adds an option to gpart create to a pMBR with this fix applied.

If this gets committed, I can add 'GPT + Lenovo Fix' as an option during
the installer. I already plan to add 'GPT + Active' for people like
Colin Percival, who have a Dell or HP that seems to complain if the
active flag is missing.

Windows avoids these issues by entirely refusing to boot from a GPT
partitioned disk without UEFI, even though there is no such requirement.

--
Allan Jude