Re: Why shoud we cause panic in scsi_da.c?

From: Kohji Okuno <okuno.kohji_at_jp.panasonic.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:46:44 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Re: Why shoud we cause panic in scsi_da.c?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:49:29 -0400
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 18:29:36 +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Hi.

>> As I can see, this panic() call was added by ken_at_ about 15 years ago.
>> I've added him to CC in case he has some idea why it was done. From my
>> personal opinion I don't see much reasons to allow CAM_DEV_QFRZN to be
>> returned only together with error. While is may have little sense in
>> case of successful command completion, I don't think it should be
>> treated as error. Simply removing this panic is probably a bad idea,
>> since if it happens device will just remain frozen forever, that will be
>> will be difficult to diagnose, but I would better just dropped device
>> freeze in that case same as in case of completion with error.
>
> I put it there because it indicates a software error.  The queue shouldn't
> be frozen if the command is successful.  The reason for freezing the queue
> is to allow error recovery to happen.  The queue will get unfrozen after
> error recovery completes.
>
> We could alternately just print a diagnostic message, unfreeze the queue
> and move on, but the idea is to allow the driver writer to detect and
> correct his error immediately.
>
> As for the original poster's problem, he has uncovered a bug that needs to
> be fixed.  (And I don't mean in the da(4) driver.  The bug is in the
> component that left the queue frozen.  Most likely in the USB driver, but
> it will take a little more investigation.)  The panic worked as intended. :)

I don't know the reaseon. When I accessed the specified sector on the
specified HDD, I encounter the panic. But, I can access other sectors
on the same HDD. And, I can access all sectors on the other HDD (same
model).

Even if Ken's logic is correct, I think that we should do panic in
da(4) driver.

Best regards,
 Kohji Okuno