Re: Kernel Application Binary Interface (kABI) support in FreeBSD

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:47:22 +0800
On 7/17/15 9:02 PM, Venkat Duvvuru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there kABI (Kabi-whitelist) equivalent feature in FreeBSD?
well, yes and no.

Firstly, FreeBSD maintains a backwards compatible kABI (with the
exception of programs that hunt around in kernel memory).
We also use symbol versioning on the libc. so depending on what you
want to do. the answer may be useful to you or not.
Basically any binary should continue to run on a newer kernel, even if
the syscalls change, because we should still support the old abi.

tell us more about what you need and we can be more specific.

I have run Freebsd 1.1 binaries on a Freebsd 8  system, in fact I have
done a system build in a freebsd 1.1 chroot on an 8 system.
I haven't tried it on 9 or 10 but I'd expect it to work..