Re: -current broken when MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is set (was: src is on NFS)

From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:59:01 -0700
O'Connor, Daniel <darius_at_dons.net.au> wrote:
> Yeah the subject is wrong (I just updated it).
>
> I just did a build like so and it worked..
> env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/src/obj-amd64 make -j 8 buildworld

That's the right way to use it.

> But this did not..
> make -j 8 buildworld MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/src/obj-amd64

Nor should it.
There are several makefiles in the tree that expect to be able to
change MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in the environment of a sub-make.
When you set it on the command line like that you prevent such changes
from working.

> So, it seems MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX only works as an environmental variable

Yes, it has always been documented that way.

> - I wonder if there is a way the make system can be changed to warn
> about that?

I thought there was a check in src/Makefile for that.