Re: -current broken when MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is set (was: src is on NFS)

From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 19:10:44 -0700
O'Connor, Daniel <darius_at_dons.net.au> wrote:
> >> So, it seems MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX only works as an environmental variable

> Weird, I could have sworn I have set it on the command line and had it
> work, but..

In most "normal" usage you will likely not notice a difference.
It is only when a makefile is "being clever" that things go south when
you break its expectations.

> > I thought there was a check in src/Makefile for that.
>
> Not so far as I can tell - it certainly gets quite far before blowing
> up with a non useful error message :)

The check in src/Makefile is only guarding against MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set
in say make.conf, it explicitly discards the possibility of setting
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX on command line - which seems wrong.

Also with bmake, you *can* usefully set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in a makefile
since the choice of .OBJDIR can be made after make starts reading
makefiles.

So the current test is perhaps out dated on that score too - though
only if something like auto.obj.mk is being used (-DWITH_AUTO_OBJ)
which I don't think I've tested with buildworld.