Re: -current broken when MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is set (was: src is on NFS)

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 23:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
On 19 Jul, O'Connor, Daniel wrote:

>> On 19 Jul 2015, at 02:56, Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net> wrote:
>>
>> O'Connor, Daniel <darius_at_dons.net.au> wrote:
>>> However, Crochet _does_ build on the NFS client _and_ when the
>>> source tree isn't in /usr/src which makes this issue very strange
>>> :-/
>>
>> I've seen similar errors in rescue... (no NFS) though I cannot
>> quite recall the cause other than it seems very sensitive
>> to MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX value.
>
> Yeah the subject is wrong (I just updated it).
>
> I just did a build like so and it worked..
> env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/src/obj-amd64 make -j 8 buildworld
>
> But this did not..
> make -j 8 buildworld MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/src/obj-amd64
>
> So, it seems MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX only works as an environmental variable
> - I wonder if there is a way the make system can be changed to warn
> about that?

At least it is documented in /usr/share/mk/bsd.obj.mk:

# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX  Specifies somewhere other than /usr/obj to root the object
#               tree.  Note: MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is an *environment* variable
#               and works properly only if set as an environment variable,
#               not as a global or command line variable!
#
#               E.g. use `env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/somewhere/obj make'

Not the most obvious place to look ...