Re: "proper way" or "unworkable idea" ? > [SOLVED]

From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 17:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 20:54:07 +0200, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl> wrote:

> On 30/06/2015 17:32, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> > Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If I've a spare /mnt/usr/src , it seems buildworld quite soon fails,
> >> where it otherwise may succeed in /usr/src. Any CLI parameters or> the
> >> build system is hardcoded enough so that there will always be
> >> problems?
> >
> > The only thing hard coded is the default MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX (it isn't
> > called that but it works the same way), but even that should work for any
> > location. I always have MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX when doing buildworld etc,
> > and have never used /usr/src.
> >
> > Is there perhaps something interesting about /mnt/usr/src (like
> > ancient?)
>
> On some of the systems where I use different versions, I have
> 	/usr/srcs
> mounted of the NFS-server. in which I have.
> 	/usr/srcs/src8/src
> 	/usr/srcs/src9/src
> 	/usr/srcs/src10/src
> 	/usr/srcs/head/src
>
> Then also have /usr/objs mounted, with the same setup
>
> And on the remote systems link /usr/src -> /usr/srcs/src??/src and same
> for obj....
>
> I have yet to run into trouble when I do the normal things. It gets
> messy if I'd like to build both i386 and amd64 in the same obj-tree.
> That does not always work, but adding a differentiating i386 and amd64
> to the hierarchy seemed to fix it. But I retired all but one i386, and
> that is soon to follow.
>
> --WjW

Using a r285418 (july 12), rsynced /usr/obj and /usr/src  ( precise howto
found in the motd where I store stuff... cp -Rp that is)

# cp -Rp /mnt_usr/obj/usr/src /usr/obj/usr  # /usr as a seperate filesystem
  ... note 4 > 3
# cp -Rp /mnt_usr/src /usr                     # /usr as a seperate filesystem
 ... note  2 > 1

the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX seems to be working for the first time ever.  Cntl-c'd it since
the installkernel/installworld did the upgrade...  so something was fixed.  Could probably
comtinue with the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX  buildworld if I was sure (doubly sure)
how to install from
the "different" location to the "usual" one...  without a hitch.  So that may come later this
year... unless something else breaks the specific build environment which caused this
thread, which appears SOLVED...