Re: duration of buildworld

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:20:38 +0100
On 27 Jul 2015, at 20:49, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru> wrote:

> No idea.
> May be someone know about current status swap in file on UFS.
> This is work for me some time ago.

It sounds as if the swap was working (as the build took a long time, it didn’t run out of memory).  My guess would be that, before the reboot, something had wired (or, if not, then touched frequently enough to keep it in core) a large chunk of memory, which forced the swapping.  Swap files are expected to be slower than swap partitions (though if you’re swapping to a disk, the seek times are likely to dominate in both cases).

I don’t suppose there’s  capture of the output of top from before the reboot?

David