Re: FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report - Second Quarter 2015

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:10:02 +0200
On 29-7-2015 18:01, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>> On Jul 27, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You have any idea what is/was actual the hardware that was in the
>> box?
>>
>> If I remember correctly we gave Jordan a check for like 5000
>> guilders. Which I guess would be 2500 us$ at that time. Which was
>> not an enormous amount of money, so even more impressive that the
>> system lasted 18 years :)
>
> And thank you again for that donation!   We should have another
> conference at that place - I remember it was unusual to have a
> conference at a location that also supplied tools for hacking our
> Librettos. :)

It was a fun weekend. I think Robert demonstrated a heavy system _at_work,
where he could compile the kernel (or was it world) within 20
minutes.... We were all amasted that the lines went by faster than we
could read.

> I believe those original funds purchased a Pentium Pro system of
> fairly reasonable configuration.  As Julian says, however, the
> individual parts were replaced over the years, including the
> motherboard, and the freefall of today likely bore little resemblance
> to the one we purchased at the local PC shop in Walnut Creek,
> California!

If it went anything like here in the workshed, only the metal box is
more or less still there. But all other parts have gone. Some 4U 19"
frames have the fronts cut out, to make room for diskbays. :)
Exactly like Julian suggests. I'd like his phrasing thou.

--WjW