Re: converted ath(4) for testing Was: [Testers needed!] WiFi drivers changes

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 00:25:16 +0300
On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:46:33PM +0200, Oliver Pinter wrote:
O> And the same test against my atheros seems like working fine, both the
O> secondary VAP creation and destruction. I'm able to run kismet without
O> panic, and that seems too working fine.

Thanks a lot!

O> In ath case I got some LOR during boot and during kismet, see the
O> attached dmesgs.

I will look at these.

O> One confusing thing, that the underlaying devices (ath0 and iwn0) has
O> gone from ifconfig, and that's a little confusing, when you have
O> multiple pci card and try to create multiple VAP to specific device.

This is intended. The ifnet layer was making KPI more complex and
it is absolutely superfluous.

You've got a PCI device, seen in pciconf. You've get kernel device,
seen in devinfo. But you need to create wlan0 interface.

The ath0 or iwn0 were not actually interfaces. You couldn't assign
addresses to them, send packets, receive packets on them. They were
just sitting in the list, confusing people. Now people got used to
them, and their absense on list is confusing, like you said. But
you will get used again :)

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.