Re: Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything

From: Harrison Grundy <harrison.grundy_at_astrodoggroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:25:02 -0800
On 03/01/15 05:33, Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> First, I would be happy to have JSON and XML output about
> filesystems, users, routes... but I don't like how it makes code of
> df, w, netstat hard to read/maintain and often broken.
>
> I don't think it would be good to continue with this. Maybe the
> effort should be put to creating new layer/library and then
> something on top of it that actually outputs JSON and XML.
>
> Or, if that's too difficult... maybe just regular df/w/netstat
> could be copied to somewhere else and made code libxo-output-only.
> And original df/w/netstat changes reverted and left alone.
>
> Then, maybe later, df/w/netstat/... could be updated to this new
> layer/library. Or maybe this should be just left as it is.
>
> That would mean having two netstat's in system, which could be both
> good (separation) and bad (maintaining).
>
> Just some ideas... I don't know how to solve this issue fully. I'm
> also not likely the one who would write code for all this. Hell,
> those aren't even all my ideas here. I just worry that system
> drop-in xo-zation is bad for overall health of base.
>
> Oh and, it makes rescue larger and more complex, too? On that,
> there was suggestion to maybe create separate "first aid kit" and
> "emergency room" types of system rescue utils/methods.
>

> Thanks. _______________________________________________
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current To
> unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_at_freebsd.org"

Forgive my ignorance about exactly what this is, and possibly reviving
a long-settled debate, but this sounds like something that would be a
great deal more useful as a port/package, rather than in base.

Due to the lack of XML parsing code in -base, the difficulty in
maintaining yet another interface, and the overhead involved in doing
it, I don't quite see where one would really want XML output *and* be
entirely opposed to ports or packages.

If someone could summarize what this is, I'd greatly appreciate it.

--- Harrison