Re: Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 11:53:24 -0800
On 3/2/15 5:25 AM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On 3/2/15 4:25 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
>> On 2 Mar 2015, at 09:16, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> if we develop a suitable post processor with pluggable grammars,
>>> we save a lot of work.
>>> given enough examples you could almost have automatically
>>> generated grammars.
>> This decoupled approach is problematic.  A large part of the point
>> of libxo is to allow changing the human-readable output without
>> breaking tools that consume the output.  Now I need to keep the
>> tool that consumes it and the tool that produces it in sync, so
>> that's an extra set of moving parts.  When you throw jails with
>> multiple versions of world into the mix, it becomes a recipe for
>> disaster.
why? the jail has it own /usr/share?

> +1

  I think the risk is exactly opposite.  That the human readable
output will change subtly with bugs in the xo implementation.
and people will not update the two output paths in exactly the same
way, leading bugs. I'm not going to fight on it, but I am
uncomfortable with it.  You are increasing the complexity of every
program you touch.