Re: Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 19:27:58 -0800
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Alfred Perlstein <bright_at_mu.org> wrote:

> Actually I want to shame third party ports into adopting libxo (or at
least providing machine readable output).

Well if upstream third party ports adopt libxo will remain to be seen.
However, one thing we can do is to make it super-duper easy for them to
incorporate.
Then it will be a no-brainer for them to use libxo.

I would like to see a Debian package of libxo made, so it can be
incorporated
into Debian and Ubuntu derived Linux distributions.

I have done similar Debian packaging efforts for kyua, atf, and lutok:

Does anyone have connections in the Debian community to push
these kinds of reviews forward?  I've asked on the debian-bsd mailing list,
but got no help.  I basically need a "Debian Developer" who has
privileges to upload packages to the Debian distribution to take the
packages that I have made
and upload them (after making sure they pass lintian checks).

I can take a whack and do something similar for libxo.

I was actually very surprised at how hard/bureaucratic it is to get a new
package
into Debian.  FreeBSD ports and Mac Homebrew are actually way easier to
work with in terms
of adding a new package.  However, Debian and Ubuntu have a lot of users,
so it is worth
the effort to push this kind of stuff through.

--
Craig