Re: Broadwell Support FreeBSD 10.1

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:09:47 -0400
On 03/22/2015 19:49, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 04:32:06PM -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:
>> New to this group, and new to FreeBSD via PC-BSD. Really like it so far.
>> Sorry if this has been asked to death already. Levono has their new T450
>> with the 5th gen intel Broadwell i5 processor. I bought it with the hopes of
>> running PC-BSD latest version on it. It uses intel 5500 graphics as well.
>> Any potential issues using this??
>>

> You won't be able to use accelerated graphics.
>
> I have the T540p which has the i7-4800MQ, and am quite happy with
> running FreeBSD CURRENT on it.  I don't care about accelerated graphics
> too much, though.
>
> One nit with the laptop is I needed to use an external USB flash drive
> to store /boot on an MBR partition, because my hard drives are
> GPT-partitioned using ZFS on '/' on GELI-encrypted providers.
> Otherwise, I have noticed that using the /boot on the GPT disk enforces
> low resolution graphics (640x480 IIRC).
>
> By using a USB flash drive for /boot, I can get 1920x1080 resolution
> (one of the many reasons for choosing this laptop).
>
> (I've been meaning to put this into the FreeBSD Wiki, but EBUSY.)
>
> Glen

Glen, in the past I briefly tested the uefi bootloader on a Lenovo T440s
including with scfb and I believe the default resolution would raise to
native if I also disabled CSM mode in the "bios".  This affected the
console mode as well as scfb which both inherit the framebuffer from the
uefi GOP as I understand it.  Have you tried that?
You should be able to demonstrate it while booted from a uefi boot
stick, no permanent system changes necessary.

I've also been looking forward to see if this trick works with uefi
since xf86-video-scfb performance was perfectly usable on a uefi booted
mac but not the lenovo:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xorg-vesa-driver-massive-speedup-using-mtrr-write-combine.46723/