T40 bootloop on CAM status: Command timeout on both 10.1 and -CURRENT

From: bsdml <pietro.bsdml_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 01:34:44 +0100
Hello guys,

since I tried to install FreeBSD 10.1 on my recently purchased T40 I got
stuck at this annoying bootloop that says
"ATAPY_IDENTIFY. ACB: a1 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 etc etc.. CAM status:
Command timeout". I have also tried latest 11-CURRENT snapshot and it
did not make any difference at all, it is affected from the same exact
bootloop.

I use to boot the kernel and installation image from PXE, however did
try from usb and didn't make any difference, the bootloop goes on forever.

I did a bunch of researches on Google and somebody suggested to boot
with hint.achci.0.msi="0" or with hw.achi.force="1" but again it did not
make any difference.

It seems like there might be an issue with the CAM ATA stack that is
clashing with the PATA controller on my T40.

Interestingly enough, I did try to remove the cdrom drive and boot the
installation image with no cd drive installed. However in this case the
kernel hangs and seat endlessly on the usb controller detection, it does
not progress or give out any logs past the usb controller recognition.

Unfortunately at the time being it seems like I am stuck with 10
release, hopefully someone will eventually address this issue so that my
T40 can see the light again :) .

Here's the link to the picture that showcase the bootloop.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XtUvTbUf_pQ/VQy37HOXAwI/AAAAAAAAHGQ/t8Pjl7oMlls/s512/IMG_20150321_011327.jpg

Regards,
Pietro Sammarco