Re: T40 bootloop on CAM status: Command timeout on both 10.1 and -CURRENT

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:05:15 -0700
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Mar 30, 2015, at 10:38, bsdml <pietro.bsdml_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey wolfgang,
> >
> > thanks for getting back to me. Adding hint.ata.1.disabled="1" in
> /boot/device.hints indeed did the trick and allowed me to boot both 10.1
> and 11-CURRENT, however this workaround has temporary solved my problem but
> brings up to another headache. I have planned to get a bay caddy and swap
> the cdrom drive with a 7.200 rpm SATA hdd, but doing this way disabling the
> second SATA channel I will be unable to achieve such a thing.
> >
> > Is there a chance that the bay caddy ATA will work without the need to
> disable the second ATA channel?
>
> Has a bug been filed for this issue?
>
> It's not been fixed and is pretty much unfixable, but it is also only
annoying.

The problem shows up when because the SATA-PATA converter shows the second
drive as present whether it is or not. This leads the driver to try to
probe the drive. The probe of the non-existant fails. (Gee, what a
surprise!)

If you don't have a second PATA drive in hte system, you need to disable
this drive to prevent the probe. If you have a second drive, you only need
to enable it and it works. At least my second drive did on my old T42. I
can only hope the T40 is the same. IF you can get the PATA caddy, try
finding a drive to plug in and see if it works at all. I suspect that it
will.

Be aware that old PATA drives are getting harder to come by. Most are
pretty small, though I did find a 360 GB drive on Amazon.

Good luck!
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com