Re: [RFC] Replace gnu groff in base by heirloom doctools

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 13:26:46 +0200
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 01:42:26AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi Bapt & current_at_
>
> > I think keeping a fully functionnal roff(7) toolchain part of the
> > base system is very good on a unix.
>
> Yes, Unix has always also been a tool to get jobs done (aka PWB),
> as well as merely recompile more Unix. Ditto FreeBSD.
>

> > From what I could check I cannot find any regression when migrating from gnu
> > groff to heirloom doctools, if there is a particular area when you think extra
> > care is needed please share it.
> >
> > Heirloom doctools: https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools
>

> Regression tests that use public BSD source & data to build more
> BSD are a good start, but just a start, insufficient to discover
> all problems.  There's non public user data sets to consider.
>
> Many users won't read current_at_, just announce_at_, so before removal
> hits a Release, we need a one Release warning, ie "This is the last
> Release before old functionality goes.
>
> Assume lots of user data will Not be compatible with heirloom-doctools
> & users wont know to start checking their data, until they see an
> announcement in the next Release.

Those users would be able to use groff from ports and then have the benefit of a
more up to date version of groff and a groff with more functionnality than the
castrated version we do have in base while compatible.

> We'll need a copy of same version of existing tools, macros etc, copied out
> unchanged to a port or meta port so users affected have a lifeboat.

groff is already in ports.

> User data Will break: (My groff usage frequently broke when groff
> changed:  I use groff for CV, business card, letters, invoices, &
> personal, with embedded pics, scaled & offset figures, tables,
> fonts, sizes, & ouput in all of txt ps pdf pcl & html output.)

Solved by using groff from ports.

> Unfortnately I have'nt time to help test with my data as FreeBSD
> already eats too much time, shoving bind from src to ports (+planning
> to dump bind & move on) + ripping majordomo & acroread out of ports,
> all of which I need & must restore before upgrading servers &
> workstations.
>
> Changes would need maximal warning & minimum disruption please.

Groff in base is rottening for various reasons and lacks lots of the features
provided by a full groff.

Using groff from ports is a win for user realying on groff specific toolchain.

Heirloom in base is a win over groff because it has better support for roff(7)
better font handling etc.

Best regards,
Bapt