Re: Slow shutdown

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 18:10:44 -0700
On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 24, 2015, at 6:33, Ranjan1018 . <214748mv_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On my laptop running r283297, after the message “All buffers synced.” and
> > before “Uptime: …..” it takes more than 55 seconds.
>
> Not a lot of info here to diagnose your issue...
> - What happens if you hit control-t, i.e. what wait channel does it print
> out?
> - What filesystems do you have mounted (fuse, NFS, UFS, ZFS)?
> - What’s your root media (SSDs, SATA/PATA hard drives, etc)?
>
> Thanks..

By this point in the shutdown, ctrl-t (and the shell, itself) are no longer
available.

This feels like it might be related to the very messy issue with shutdown
that triggered the EN and patched 10.1 release. That one was the result of
a composite of several bugs and is believed fixed, but,in most cases,
shutting down to single user and waiting for 1 minute (pretty close to 55
seconds) before issuing a halt fixed the problem. One difference... a
"shutdown -r" or "shutdown -p" never completed. It just hung. At least an
odd coincidence.

This issue only occurred on SU+J UFS file systems. Since this is default
for UFS systems, it's pretty likely that any UFS file systems are SU+J. You
can try turning this off (tunefs(9)) and see if it helps. If you crash
without this, the fsck will take a while, though, if it is a large FS. It
was patched in 10.1 with r282873.

I have only heard of this bug impacting 10.1, not head, but the similarity
makes me suspect some link.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired