Re: [Testers needed!] WiFi drivers changes

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 09:24:42 +0000
>   As part of the "opaque ifnet project" [1], we are doing some code shake
> with all IEEE802.11 (read WiFi) drivers. The drivers, that provide a parent
> interface for the wlan(4) interface.

>   The core idea is that parent device loses its ifnet(9) structure. The
> code is already complete for the stack, but only 2 drivers are converted
> to new KPI: iwn(4) and bwi(4). We got 22 more drivers left. The changes
> are quite mechanical, but nevertheless testing is required before committing.

> So, if you run FreeBSD head and wlan(4), please sign up here as tester:

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/projects/ifnet/net80211

> As soon as I see testers there, I will start converting more drivers.

> For those who want to review the patch, or even help with converting,
> you are welcome here:

> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2655

> Waiting for your feedback :)

> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/projects/ifnet

> Totus tuus, Glebius.

There are two I could test: athn and rsu, but neither fits iwn or bwi, and athn is not in FreeBSD src at all.

athn is in NetBSD-current and 7.0_BETA, sometimes is able to connect, but usually I get
athn0: could not load firmware (35)

Always fails with OpenBSD on USB stick (liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net), also fails with kernels from OpenBSD 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 as does Ethernet (re); no success with rsu either in OpenBSD.

I see on the website that sys/dev/re was tested.

I notice, since the most recent change (2015-04-09) in sys/dev/re, that this Ethernet now works for me on new computer where it didn't before:
MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard.

Also, the latest fix (2015-01-05) to sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_rsu.c seems to make Hiro H50191 USB WLAN adapter work again.

This success is on current amd64 and i386; no such success on FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE.

But my installed ports date to last July 26; I installed lang/gcc-aux last August 17; started updating last May 12 but hit a snag on the png update reverse dependencies, now am starting over on a new GPT partition while preserving the old (current amd64).

Tom