Re: 11.0-CURRENT r290273: installer fails with "out of swap space" error

From: Boris Samorodov <bsam_at_passap.ru>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:50:01 +0300
03.11.2015 23:50, Maxim Pugachev пишет:

> I tried to install r29273 into Parallels VM, but got an error on
> "distextract" stage. Here is the last messages from bsdinstall_log:
>
> DEBUG: f_debug_init: ARGV=[distextract] GETOPTS_STDARGS=[dD:]
> DEBUG: f_debug_init: debug=[1] debugFile=[/tmp/bsdinstall_log]
> DEBUG: Running installation step: distextract
> Killed
>
> Last message from /var/log/messages:
>
> Nov  3 20:02:9  kernel: pid 967 (distextract), uid 0, was killed: out
> of swap space
>
> My VM has 2 gigs of memory, vmstat tells that I have ~537M free
> (swapinfo tells nothing). I dunno is it a bug or I'm doing something
> wrong.

I've also come across with this recently.

Don't remember all the details, something like this:
. install CURRENT to bhyve using 1G memory, get out of swap error;
. set 2G memory, got the same error, didn't try more memory (seemed
  not sane to).

Took a look at the boot environment and found out that something was
wrong (with the filesystem). Unfortunately, I do not recall now what
was it. :-( Something like too small /tmp, no /tmp at all, something
else...

But definitely the error message was misleading and not the case of
the failure.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve