Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:37:08 -0800
On 11/11/2015 1:04 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ben Woods <woodsb02_at_gmail.com> writes:
>> Personally I have used it at home to backup my old FreeBSD server
>> (which does not have AESNI) over a dedicated network connection to a
>> backup server using rsync/ssh. Since it was not possible for anyone
>> else to be on that local network, and the server was so old it didn't
>> have AESNI and would soon be retired, using the NONE cipher sped up
>> the transfer significantly.
>
> In that scenario, you don't need ssh at all.  Just set up rsyncd on the
> backup server.

Yes, it's more a matter of convenience with key management. I admit that
after some recent changes I've made I did resort to using the base SSH
and rsync:// to achieve my backups over VPN out of not wanting to
customize the the new system further with the port version or rebuilding
base.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery