Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:18:29 -0800
Allan Jude wrote this message on Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 11:53 -0500:
> On 2015-11-14 02:47, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Allan Jude wrote this message on Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 17:57 -0500:

> >> I found that when I set even 5ms of delay with dummynet, bandwidth over
> >> the LAN drops more than it should. Dummynet is limiting the rate rather
> >> than just adding the delay. I am investigating.
> >>
> >> I found this document:
> >> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~jeffay/dirt/FAQ/hstcp-howto.pdf
> >>
> >> Which is from the 6.x era, but suggests:
> >>
> >> "One subtle bug exists in the stock Dummynet implementation that should
> >> be corrected for experiments.  When a packet arrives in dummynet it is
> >> shoved into a queue which limits the bandwidth a TCP flow may use. Upon
> >> exit from the queue, the packet is transferred to a pipe where it sits
> >> for any configured amount of delay time and might possibly be dropped
> >> depending on the loss probability. Once the delay time has passed, the
> >> packet is released to ip output."
> >>
> >> May be the cause of my problem
> >
> > Ahhh, probably need to adjust:
> > net.inet.ip.dummynet.pipe_byte_limit: 1048576
> > net.inet.ip.dummynet.pipe_slot_limit: 100
> >
> > But even w/ the above limits and 5ms, you should still be able to push
> > 200MB/sec...
>
> I worked with Hiren and some of his dtrace magic and figured out that
> dummynet was not my issue. I didn't end up needing to change the
> dummynet pipe slot/byte limit in order to get the full 10gig/sec even
> with 100ms delay from dummynet.
>
> You just need to adjust:
>
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max=BDP
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max=BDP
>
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf= ( BDP * (2048+256) ) / 2048
>
> for a 50ms RTT:
>
> BDP = 10gbps * .05 = ~60mb

I forgot to include _max adjustments on the page (the maxsockbuf was
there), but in all of my tests, I can't get close to that..  In my case,
I can demonstrate 20MB/sec+ over the link, and w/ a 100ms RTT, that'd
be a 2MB buffer size, and even when I increase these to 8MB, and
increase kern.ipc.maxsockbuf to 8MB too (otherwise _max is
meaningless), I still get 1.5MB/sec, not even close...

I do notice w/ nc that it'll slowly increase, and then suddenly back
off, just to closely increase again... I wonder if there is some issue
w/ TSO or tap that is causing issues...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579