Re: Need help fixing failing locale tests

From: John Marino <freebsd.contact_at_marino.st>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:08:08 +0100
On 11/15/2015 2:04 PM, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On 15.11.2015 16:00, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

>>> There is soft-fail, configure just marks that locales are not supported
>>> and use "C". Sorry I don't remember port names where I saw it right now
>>> and don't have a time to search for them right now too. Soft-fails (like
>>> in tcl with nl_langinfo) are almost impossible to detect excepting
>>> specific situation happens or source code inspection. Do we ever need
>>> them when there is no harm to keep 8859-1 locales?
>>
>> Is it ok if I readd those locales as aliases on 8859-15?
>
> It is hacking solution leads to wrong collating order and character
> classes. It is better to generate true 8859-1 just in the same way you
> already do for 8859-15.
>
> BTW, I can't check right now, but in case 8859-5 is removed too, it is
> better to restore it, it was used in Suns as their standard Russian
> encoding.

DragonFly:

muscles# locale -a | grep 8859-5
uk_UA.ISO8859-5
be_BY.ISO8859-5
ru_RU.ISO8859-5
sr_Cyrl_RS.ISO8859-5

I agree that if -1 is brought back, it needs to be changed at the
charset.xml level.  At that point FreeBSD and DragonFly will diverge.  I
also agree using ports as justification for keeping -1 in western europe
is invalid (as in, it's not causing problems in ports)

John