Re: libXO-ification - Why - and is it a symptom of deeper issues?

From: Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:10:37 -0800
> On Nov 15, 2015, at 10:05, Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-11-15 07:54, Dan Partelly wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was looking at the new facility of dumping JSON,XML from many utils in base and after some funny minutes, I couldn't stop ask myself g Ok, this is funny , but why ? g And I couldn't find a real answer. Ill outline what I think:
>>

>> 1. Undoubtedly, it makes base code slightly harder to understand and maintain.
>
> I am not sure that libxo actually makes the code any harder to
> understand and maintain. It might actually make it slightly better.
>
> replacing:
>
> printf("%s %s %d\n", foo, bar, number);
>
> with:
>
> xo_emit("{:foo/%s} {:bar/%s} {:number/%d}", foo, bar, number);
>
> it not really hurting much.

That's by and large true, but there are other APIs that need to be called on exit (xo_finish?) and in other scenarios where flushing, etc is needed. If you don't do that, you don't get the output you expect (which broke uptime/w several months ago..).

Also, typos with the meta language into the xo_emit calls have bit is more than once ;(.