Re: /bin/ls formatting broken for non-C(?) locales

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:42:53 +0100
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:05:56AM +0300, Sergey V. Dyatko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> subj. http://i.imgur.com/F9QO29l.png
> it is on head_at_r290573:
> WTR:
> env LC_ALL=uk_UA.UTF-8 ls -la /usr/ports/databases/ or env LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8
> ls -la /usr/ports/databases/
>
> env LC_ALL=C ls -la /usr/ports/databases/ works fine
> also on old stable/10 (r286868)  as I can see 'month' field length 3 symbols

Thanks for reporting, I can reproduce the issue with some other locales. The
thing is there seems to be no standard for abbreviated length. Formerly we had a
3 character lenght for abbreviated month.

We now use CLDR which seems to follow the abbreviated rules from IBM:
"Each string must be of equal length and contain 5 characters or less"

There are 2 possible fixes: either always pad those in the locale definition
which seems wrong or modify ls so that it by itself pads properly.

Neither posix nor ISO-14652 defines the length of the abbreviated form

padding in the locales themself would be wrong so I do propose to pad in the ls
command. And padding with 5 characters.

Best regards,
Bapt