Re: Wrong temperature with AMD and amdtemp.ko

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 11:40:13 +0200
On 4-10-2015 03:26, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 20:12, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>> Thusfar I have not been able to locate the "Power and Thermal Datasheet"
>> for the family 15h....
>> Perhaps need to disassemble the bios, or check other tools or OSes on
>> how they do this.
>
> According to Supermicro the H8SGL supports FreeBSD 8.0 but not 9.1

I see this as an omission on the website.
I've never been bothered by FreeBSD compatibility in the 15+ years I'm
using Supermicro.

> Maybe you could approach Supermicro support and ask for assistance in
> updating FreeBSD support - maybe for other boards as well.
>
> Another approach is asking iXSystems, I'm pretty sure they sell
> re-badged Supermicro machines.

Turns out it has nothing to do with the Motherboard, but more on the
temperature management hardware in the CPU.
So asking either iXSstems or Supermicro does not really help.

Fun part is that I have a few desktop system with "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6
1075T Processor" and they more or less run with a temp that makes more
sense.... I've verified the temps on the board with a thermo-cam and the
CPU cooler is around that temp. The junction-temp in the CPU package
will be higher, and you'd need to have a much beter understanding of
what AMD does with it's on-chip sensor.

I've been reading a bit more on this topic in all kinds of different
fora, and thusfar everybody recognises that it is a sort of black art.
So I guess I'll just measure, plot and monitor it, to get a feeling for
where it should be.

--WjW

--WjW