Re: kgdb ported to devel/gdb

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 17:03:51 -0700
On Monday, August 31, 2015 02:32:04 PM John Baldwin wrote:
> Over the past several months I have ported kgdb to the version of gdb in ports.
> I have a pending patch to the gdb port to add fork following, but once that is
> done (and possibly after updating to 7.10) I will try to add my existing work
> as a KGDB option on the port.  Until such time, you can try the newer kgdb by
> checking out my branch from git.
>
> Here's my cheat sheet on how to build the newer kgdb.  Note that if you build
> a world with my cross-libkvm patches you should get a kgdb that can debug
> i386 cores on amd64 and vice versa.
>
> All of the targets that the native devel/gdb support have their backends
> ported (so x86, sparc64, powerpc and powerpc64).  I have not yet ported
> arm or mips since those don't work for userland yet in upstream gdb.  I
> have only compiled non-x86 backends.  Testing of the new kgdb on sparc64
> and powerpc would be appreciated.

FYI, this is now present in the devel/gdb port as an off-by-default KGDB
option (so you need to build the package yourself for now).  Eventually we
will turn it on by default.

I did manage to get powerpc64 running under qemu and both the old and new
kgdb do not work with it.  I have the new kgdb close, but it is not able
to unwind stacks after the first frame.  I have not been able to test
sparc64.

--
John Baldwin