Re: CURRENT: build failure with clang 3.7.0

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:09:50 +0200
Am Wed, 07 Oct 2015 11:03 -0700
John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> On Wednesday, October 07, 2015 01:33:23 PM O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:23:48 +0200
> > Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > > Somebody else reported the same to me yesterday.  This is an upstream
> > > bug with AVX (which is still present in llvm trunk), so for now you need
> > > to set your CPUTYPE to something that doesn't have AVX, or simply unset
> > > your CPUTYPE.
> > >
> > > The bug has been reported upstream, and once there is a fix, I will
> > > import it ASAP.
> > >
> > > -Dimitry
> > >

> > Funny, I have several other boxes, definitely having AVX aboard:
> >
> > [... from dmesg]
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel: CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 _at_ 3.50GHz
> > (3491.98-MHz K8-class CPU)
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel: Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306f2  Family=0x6
> > Model=0x3f  Stepping=2
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel:
> > Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel:
> > Features2=0x7dfefbff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel: AMD
> > Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel: AMD Features2=0x21<LAHF,ABM>
> > Jul 29 07:05:52 freyja kernel: Structured Extended
> > Features=0x37ab<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,PQM,NFPUSG>
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > which is a most recent Haswell XEON and builds world fine. My personal failing
> > box is a i3-32XX, IvyBridge, but the IvyBridge E3-124XX XEON builds well.
>
> It's not about whether your CPU supports it, it is about whether or not you have
> asked the compiler to use it.  Normally by setting 'CPUTYPE' in /etc/make.conf
> or the like.  (I also was bitten by this yesterday on my sandbridge laptop
> where I have 'CPUTYPE=corei7-avx' in /etc/src.conf.)  The workaround is to not
> set CPUTYPE (or set it to something without AVX like just 'corei7').

Hello.

Well, I guess I understood the usage of CPUTYPE. Maybe I did not express myself in the
clear, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that I'm using two CPUs supposedly of the same
architectural design and if the AVX feature is indeed the culprit, then the question is
why the one CPU compiles and the other not. I use on all machines the very same src.conf
and make.conf except for the kernel name. So this would imply that on all boxes the very
same feature set, identified by the CPU type, would be used. So far the theory.

I did not check the expansion of CPUTYPE on both systems failing the buildworld, so maybe
there is a slight difference there ...

Oliver