nice stuff from cloudflare (and, we need something like ethtool!)

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:59:35 +0200
the nice folks at cloudflare implemented a nice feature
in netmap that puts some queues of the NIC in netmap mode
leaving others attached to the host stack

https://blog.cloudflare.com/single-rx-queue-kernel-bypass-with-netmap/

and use ethtool (and native NIC filters) to steer traffic around.
[FWIW, the chelsio native netmap driver is similar except that
the netmap queue has a different MAC address]

While their code was developed on linux, it should run
almost unmodified on FreeBSD (and we plan to import it soon),
except for the fact that we don't have ethtool hence no
device-independent mechanism to configure traffic steering.

We really need to address the latter.

cheers
luigi

--
 Prof. Luigi RIZZO, rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione