Re: Depreciate and remove gbde

From: Yonas Yanfa <yonas_at_fizk.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:43:00 -0400
Hi Martin, thanks, that raises some interesting points. After reading PHK's
paper on GBDE, I can see enough differences between GDBE and GELI that
warrant keeping GDBE.

[ At this point for me, this part is theoretical, but it's still
interesting ] I've seen the concerned made a few times that we need to
support existing users. That's true up to a point. There's always going to
be a way to transition from GDBE to GELI if we really want to (eg. a
conversion tool), or were forced to for any reason (full decrypt and
re-encrypt), so we shouldn't be keeping GDBE in the tree solely for this
reason alone. GDBE should be in the tree for it's technical merits (which
I've found it does have). However, if it turns out in X years from today
GELI can do everything GDBE can do and better, then I would say we should
figure out a way to remove GDBE.