Re: Coverity down?

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uspoerlein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:43:11 +0100
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I just noticed that our last Coverity scan happened on either July-6
>> (according to my inbox) or June-26 (according to Coverity's website).
>> Prior to that, we seemed to get scanned about once per week.  Does
>> anybody know why we haven't been scanned for so long?  I can't figure
>> out what triggers a scan, but it seems like it should've happened by
>> now.
>
> +1
>
> Is it due to svn moving?

No, it's a stupid bug in our crond and/or nslcd and LDAP handling. The
setup is as follows:

- a server running 24/7 with `uqs` being a user ID that is stored in LDAP
- a cronjob is set up to run coverity scan twice a week
- nslcd is running and getent passwd will list all local and LDAP users
- <bug happens here>
- cron somehow no longer sees any of the LDAP users and thus is not
executing any user crontabs, I think this is due to the connection to
nslcd breaking
- restarting crond fixes that (for a while)

So my box was last restarted 94d ago, which was July 26 and it seems
that it even that reboot and cron restart didn't help. I've now put in
a crontab entry, to have cron restart cron daily (no kidding), let's
see if that fixes things.

Though the best option would be to move this off my box, run it with a
local account via cron that should be more robust. Or someone could
fix our cron, because this is really annoying.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know, expect some more coverity runs by
the end of the week!

Cheers,
Uli