Re: Segmentation fault running ntpd

From: Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd_at_ijs.si>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:47:59 +0100
Not sure if it's the same issue, but it sure looks like it is.

I have upgraded a couple of hosts (amd64) from 10.2-RELEASE-p5
to 10.2-RELEASE-p6, i.e. the freebsd-upgrade essentially just
replaced the /usr/sbin/ntpd with a new one; then I restarted
the ntpd.

On all host but one this was successful: the new ntpd starts
fine and works normally. But on one of these machines the
ntpd process immediately crashes with SIGSEGV. That machine
has an Intel Xeon cpu. It is not apparent to me in what way
this machine differs from others,

Played with some variations of ntpd on that host, here are
some findings:

- the new ntpd (that came with 10.2-RELEASE-p6) runs fine
   if it does *not* daemonize, i.e. ntpd with an option -n or -d
   stays attached to a terminal and works fine; the same
   happens when run under ktrace -d -i ntpd  ... it works fine,
   even when it daemonizes;

- the ntpd built from fresh net/ntp-devel behaves exactly
   the same: crashes on that machine when it daemonizes

- a previous ntpd (from 10.2-RELEASE-p5) works fine,
   so I ended up downgrading ntpd to that previous version
   on that machine. Also a ntpd from a recent 10-STABLE
   when copied to that host runs fine there!

I haven't tried yet to build it with debugging, or capture
a core dump.

Puzzling...

    Mark

2015-10-30 12:34, je David Wolfskill napisal