Re: Instant panic while trying run ports-mgmt/poudriere

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:24:06 -0700
Andriy Gapon wrote this message on Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 23:21 +0300:
> On 27/08/2015 21:09, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Andriy Gapon wrote this message on Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:21 +0300:

> >> Apologies if the following might sound a little bit patronizing, but it
> >> seems that you have got all the facts correctly, but somehow the
> >> connection between them did not become clear.
> >>
> >> So:
> >> 1. The list originally is NOT empty.  I guess that it has one entry, but
> >> that's an unimportant detail.
> >> 2. This is why the loop is entered. It's a fact that it is entered.
> >> 3. The list becomes empty precisely because the entry is removed during
> >> the iteration in the loop (as kib has explained).  It's a fact that the
> >> list became empty at least in the panic that I reported.
> >
> > On you're latest dump, you said:
> > Here is another +1 with r286922.
> > I can add a couple of bits of debugging data:
> >
> > (kgdb) fr 8
> > #8  0xffffffff80639d60 in knote (list=0xfffff8019a733ea0,
> > hint=2147483648, lockflags=<value optimized out>) at
> > /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_event.c:1964
> > 1964                    } else if ((lockflags & KNF_NOKQLOCK) != 0) {
> >
> > First off, that can't be r286922, per:
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/sys/kern/kern_event.c?annotate=286922
> >
> > line 1964 is blank...  The line of code above should be at line 1884,
> > so not sure what is wrong here...
>
> No, it can not be indeed, because I am running head.
> r286922 was the latest version of the repository, not the head branch,
> at the moment when I pulled the repository via git.
>
> > Assuming that the pc really is at the line, f_event has not yet been
> > called,
>
> Even on the second loop iteration?
>
> >which is why I said that the list cannot be empty yet, as
> > f_event hasn't been called yet to remove the knote...  It could be that
> > optimization moved stuff around, but if that is the case, then the
> > above wasn't useful..
>
> I provided the disassembly of the code as well, it's very obvious how
> the code was translated.
>
> >> 4. The element is not only unlinked from the list, but its memory is
> >> also freed.
> >
> > Where is the memory freed?  A knote MUST NOT be freed in an f_event
> > handler.  The only location that a list element is allowed to be
> > freed is in knote_drop, which must happen after f_detach is called,
> > but that can't/won't happen from knote (I believe the timer handles
> > this specially, but we are talking about normal knlist type filters)..
>
> Well, right.  knote()->filt_proc()->knlist_remove_inevent() just removes
> the knote from the list.  But then there is KNOTE_ACTIVATE() that passes
> the knote to a different owner (so to say). And given that the knote has
> EV_ONESHOT set on it (in filt_proc) and that poudriere can put quite a
> stress load on a system, I am not surprised that another thread gets a
> chance to call knote_drop() on the knote before the original thread
> proceeds to the next iteration.

Ok, I think I have identified the race that you guys were trying to
tell me about, and though the _SAFE macro would be a similar fix, I'm
going to rewrite the loop so that this is more explicit on what
is happening here...

So, the race is this...  In knote, when the note is removed by
f_event, things are find until the KQ lock is dropped...  Once this
lock is dropped, effective ownership of the knote is transfered
from the knlist to the kq lock as the _DETACHED flag is now set,
which means that reading any fields from that note is undefined..

Once the kq lock is released in knote, then it is possible for a
functional like kqueue_scan to endup knote_drop'ing the note...

Upon further examination, we may have another race as in knote_drop,
when we call f_detach, we don't have the list locked, nor kq, which
means that knlist_remove_inevent could be modifing the list at the same
time that kqueue_register could be modifing it to remove a _DELETED
note...

I'd like to close both races at the same time since they go
hand in hand...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579