FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT Single User Keymap

From: Brendan Sechter <sgeos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:32:35 +0900
When compiling a FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT kernel, what is required to change the keymap used in single user mode?  I originally asked this question on the FreeBSD forums, but was bounced to the mailing list because CURRENT is an unsupported version.

I have read an old forum thread on this topic. I have also read the atkbd(4) and ukbd(4) man pages. The relevant parts of my kernel configuration are as follows:

# ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
include GENERIC
ident MY_KERNEL

# AT Keyboard
device atkbdc
options ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=jp.106
device atkbd

# USB Keyboard
device ukbd
options UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=jp.106

# everything else
# ...

So far as I can tell, these options should be working. I am using a 106 key Japanese keyboard. Single user mode appears to use the keymap for a 101 key standard US layout. I have tried the following values:
- jp
- jp.106
- jp.106.kbd (not tried recently)

Finally, this is a FreeBSD VM running in VirtualBox on OSX. I am 99% sure I am having the same problem on my physical machines. The specific driver almost certainly depends on the hardware.

Thanks,
-Brendan