Re: nanoBSD boot problem (on USB stick or as a HD)

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:53:54 +0800
On 9/15/15 5:31 PM, Stefano Garzarella wrote:
> Hi all,
> I created a nanoBSD image for my gsoc project (ptnetmap on bhyve).
>
> I would like to boot this image on USB stick or in the hypervisor as a HD.
> I have some problem because if I set NANO_DRIVE="da0" (for USB boot)
> in the nanoBSD configuration file, the boot from USB stick works well,
> but when I try to boot the same image in the hypervisor as a HD,
> I have the following mountroot error:

you have to override vfs.root.mountfrom in the hypervisor's loader
bhyveload. otherwise it looks at /etc/fstab in the root filesystem,
and you can't have it work both ways..

one possibility is to use  gpart label to describe the device.
possibly it woudl hav ehte same result in both cases, but I don't know
for sure that
it works for root device.. you'd have to test.